Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Strawberry Avalanche in La Trinidad



One of the most memorable trips I embarked upon is an unplanned Cordillera Region week long adventure last 2011. I, together with my then three co-workers from St. Luke’s, decided to explore the cold and foggy roads of Banaue, Sagada, Benguet and Baguio. Looking back, I was very happy that I was able to go with that trip because I gained lifelong friends. I miss you Ma’am Friz Lim, Ma’am Faith Palines and Ma’am June Alawas. I will start this Cordillera Region Series with La Trinidad’s Strawberry Farm.

 
 

Situated about three kilometers from Baguio City is La Trinidad Valley. La Trinidad is located 1,300 meter above sea level which explains the cool temperature in the valley- just perfect for growing strawberries all year long. The quaint little town is also very famous throughout the country as the Strawberry Capital of the Philippines.

 
 
 
 

Strawberries are heart shaped but these sweet little fellows are heartless. They are sinful temptations lying on the ground, taunting you to pick them at a certain cost. They will urge you to touch and pluck them from their frail branches even when you already have a basketful (and you know it is all you can afford). Tsk, tsk. These little things remind me of tragic love stories. Kahit saan talaga, may #hugot at may #pafall,hehehe .

  
 
 

Nevertheless, just like an unforgettable love stories, an affair with strawberries can be highly rewarding and satisfying. The experience of having to pick the strawberries yourselves is pure magic. I mean they just taste much, much better if you put an effort of harvesting them. And it’s not every day that we see strawberry plant- so an experience like this is a breath of fresh air…refreshing. I have been to the famous strawberry fields in Lembang and Bandung, Indonesia but our strawberries are the sweetest, the biggest and they’re more picture perfect!

Strawberry picking in La Trinidad, Benguet is always one of the best thing to do when you plan to have your vacation here in Baguio. I did it a lot of times already but the magic and spark’s still there every time.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment