Saturday, July 18, 2015

Bandung...The Paris of Indonesia


Writing all my thoughts and feelings in a blog has been a dream since I was in college. Of course, that dream halted when I entered medical school, residency training and fellowship training as well. Since this is my first blog entry, let me tell you the story of my first out the country trip. 

The main reason of going to Indonesia is actually to attend a friend’s wedding in Tangerang. The trip became very memorable and special for me because I will be traveling together with my closest friends- The Carebears (read: my batch mates during Internal Medicine residency training at St. Luke’s Medical Center- Quezon City). While in Manila, we decided to book a trip going to Bandung/Jakarta (hmmm actually, our good friend and batchmate, Mike arranged everything for us,hehehe).


 

Bandung is the capital of Dutch colonization in Indonesia that’s why it shares similar atmosphere and the vibe with some European cities. It is a booming metropolis blossoming with romance and incidentally, it is also the capital of West Java. It is surrounded by volcanic mountain, strawberry fields and lush tea plantations. The city is located 768 meters above sea level and enclosed by Parahyangan Mountain Range thus the temperature is relatively cooler year round.

 

One of the memorable places we visited during our trip was Mt. Tangkuban Perahu, affectionately called by locals as the “upside-down boat”. The crater itself, along with the toxic fumes coming from the volcano and the bubbling water pools were stunning and amazing. The local people also built an area of palm covered huts filled with authentic Sundanese food, local products and colorful fabrics.



For me, one of the best ways to experience a place is to eat what the locals eat. The gastronomical exploration in a certain place will let you experience the world through your senses – the taste of different spices dancing on the tip of your tongue, the whiff of herbs in the air, and the explosion of color and flavor in every corner. Can I just say that I love the bold and spicy flavors of Indonesian cuisine!






Our visit at the floating market in Lembang was also very memorable since Bandung is especially known for its bustling street food scene with roadside stalls around every corner, serving up simple dishes made from tried and tested family recipes.



Visiting Bandung has taken me to the crater of a smoke-puffing volcano, a serene retreat in a middle of tea plantation, and a gastronomic adventure through the streets of the city’s hungriest districts. Bandung is gem hidden off the beaten-path, waiting to be discovered. I am definitely coming back…soon.

2 comments:

  1. Can't help but smile as I looked at the pictures and recalled our days in Bandung😊 Congrats, friend, I completely adore your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the support friend...it means so much. This blog is really a dream come true.=)

    ReplyDelete